Call for Innovations
Innovolo has announced a search for innovations that are ready to be deployed immediately or in the near future to curb the COVID-19 outbreak. Confidentiality commitment: Information submitted using this form will be treated as strictly confidential; however, if you have any specific IP related concerns, kindly share nonconfidential information only.
Most frequent questions and answers
A Call for Innovation is an open solicitation of ideas and proposals that aims to help provide innovative solutions to challenges facing lives such as Coronavirus COVID-19. Ideas and proposals put forward through a Call for Innovation may be used to advise planning grants or pilots, shape future solicitations for contracts, franchises or concessions, and/or guide policy, regulation, or permitting changes.
Each Call for Innovation is meant to encourage outside-the-box thinking and open the door to new opportunities that might not otherwise be possible through traditional procurement. They are open to everyone–take a look at the challenges below and submit your idea!
Proposals will be accepted from anyone who is normally eligible, including any company or SME that would normally be eligible for Innovate UK grant support. You will need to show that you can start work within 4 weeks of the funding being confirmed.
You will need to show why it is not possible to resource the work by repurposing existing funds you may have available. Calls should:
- describe the approach you will take and put it in the context of the national response to COVID-19. International collaboration is permitted, so long as the research is of relevance to the UK
- explain the level of urgency, and why the activity is important now
- demonstrate that the proposal has the necessary critical mass to make a difference. Where relevant, demonstrate the strength of links to relevant decision-makers.
- demonstrate a clear route to impact within the timescale of the project.
- confirm whether the research requires any access to the health and care system give an estimate of the resources required (within 10%)
- as part of the submission, the proposal may include requests for access to our experimental, analytical or computational capabilities that are currently operational.
- name the team that will run this and describe their ability and capacity to deliver.
- we can help provide access to pooled research staff from UK facilities, including research software engineering support and staff data scientists. Indicate on the form if help assembling the team is needed.
- provide evidence that the host institution or business supports the proposal and that the research can be carried out under present institutional or business restrictions.
Proposals that are out of scope include:
- funding to directly mitigate the effects of the pandemic on specific institutions and businesses
- proposals more appropriate to other existing funding calls and /or other research funders
We will act to transfer proposals to appropriate other calls that are open, so do submit here if you are unsure.
Longer-term research proposals that address the COVID-19 emergency or future pandemics that don’t meet the urgency guidelines should be submitted through normal responsive mode.